Third Time’s a Charm

Mittens for Big Beanlet

Actually this is the 4th time I’m knitting this mitten pattern. Last year I made a pair for Littlest Beanlet and she got a new pair again this year. But before I finished hers I had some issues with gauge.

At first I didn’t remember this was the pattern I’d used and therefore forgot what size needles I used. The pattern calls for a 6 or 7 needle and I usually knit worsted yarn on 7s. But as I went I noticed it was turning out bigger than reasonable for a small child’s hand. Sure enough, I was WAY off gauge. Rip Rip Rippity Rip. At least now I know I can use the pattern as is with 7s and get a size for ME. :)

So back to the drawing board and in a day or so little Beanlet had her new pair of mittens.. And a hat to match!

Mittens and Hat Done!

She’s been telling everyone who’ll listen that “Mommy made me some mittens!”. I just finished the hat yesterday so I’m sure she’ll brag about that too, now. So next up is Big Beanlet’s set and everyone is good. I’m thinking though, that since her hands are bigger I might not get a hat out of the remainders so I’ll probably incorporate some handspun into hers. :) Gotta use it sometime, right?

TTFN!

About these ads

6 comments on “Third Time’s a Charm

1. Necia says:

Nice job! My child promptly loses everything I make him, and little miss promptly grows out of everything I make her. Im not making ish for either of them no more!

2. bezzie says:

Nice mittens! I hope she doesn’t lose them. She could do what Chunky did yesterday–and lose his winter COAT. I guess I’m lucky I didn’t make him that.

3. turtlegirl76 says:

Cute set! I’m kinda in the mood to make mittens. I hope that’s what my sister picks for her prize in my raffle. Wonder if I can nudge her a bit…

4. kimkrafty says:

Looks great! It’s always rewarding when our children appreciate our handiwork!

5. nasheikah says:

what a great mama ! hope she enjoys them and keeps them forever !

6. Oiyi says:

Awww, that is so sweet that she is proud that her mama made those mitts for her.